Vintage "Wade" Porcelain Tankard - Northern Ireland
Add it to your collection! A wee "Wade" tankard from Northern Ireland with shamrocks around the bottom rim.
A bit of background on Wade pottery:
Irish Wade Pottery began its history in 1946 when it was made under the name Wade Ulster. It was located in Portadown, County Armagh, Province of Ulster, Northern Ireland. During the 1950's, the factory produced die pressed ceramic insulators and the pottery was made to help repair England from the damage left after World War II.
By 1953, the first Irish Wade Pottery pieces were produced as Wade Ulster entered into the ornamental pottery field.
The company gave the pottery its own backstamp to differentiate it from Wade England, whose mark was an owl on the back of a hand. Wade Ireland was stamped 'Irish Porcelain Made in Ireland' with a picture of a shamrock.
The Irish Wade started to become more distinctive and very different from the English Wade. Their tankards and steins were exceptionally popular with the beautiful speckled blue, green and gray glazes.